CDS Professional Services Contractor Request for Proposal
The CDS Board of Directors seeks qualified and motivated applicants for a professional services contract to manage the general operations of the Community Development Society during the 2019 operations year as CDS undergoes several transitions related to its revised bylaws and updated policies and governance of the organization. The contract professional will have an average hourly commitment of 10 to 15 hours per week; there may be additional hours on average leading up to and during the annual international conference in July. The contract will run for up to six months from the time the contract begins. The contract professional may apply for the Managing Director staff position when it is posted later this year.
The mission of the Community Development Society (CDS) is to strengthen community development practice, policy, learning, and scholarship through connecting, convening and collaborating. CDS provides leadership to professionals and citizens across the spectrum of community development.
Essential Functions of the Professional Services Contractor
The contract professional shall focus on the following essential functions:
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- See that the board is kept fully informed, in a timely and accurate manner, on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Attend and participate in all general and executive level board meetings and annual board retreat.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and goals.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the Stewardship Committee and the Board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Process invoices for accounts receivable and accounts payable within a bookkeeping system approved by the treasurer.
- Submit quarterly reconciliations of finances and endowment funds in coordination with a third party CPA to the Treasurer and Stewardship Committee.
- Provide administrative and technical support for all volunteer-led fundraising efforts, including giving campaigns and the annual auction.
- Jointly, with the Chair and Secretary of the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Attend and provide logistical support to the annual international meeting and conference.
- Provide technical support for membership management including subscriptions, records, and website access. Produce monthly updates for the Vice Chair for operations and the Membership Committee.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
- Contract Rate: $20,000 annually
- Non-benefits eligible
- Starting Date: June 1, 2019, or earlier
- The contractor reports to the Board of Directors while working most closely with the Vice Chair of Operations and Treasurer
- The professional services contractor may be eligible for hire, pending board approval
Interested parties are instructed to submit the following documents catered to the essential functions above:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three professional references, including names, relationship, email, and phone number