Your donation to either CDS Endowment Fund is a direct a contribution to the continued success of the Community Development Society and its mission.
The CDS Board Treasurer manages the CDS Endowment Funds with guidance from the CDS Stewardship Committee.
The CDS Strategic Initiatives Fund was established to enable program revenues and donations to grow through earned interest, while being held in reserve for reinvestment in endeavors that can enhance mission fulfillment.
The Linda Sunde CDS Endowment Fund was established by CDS Members to provide a sustainable source of support to Members and to advance the mission of CDS through scholarships, diversity initiatives, educational materials, conference hosting, and other activities. Interest growth in the Fund is distributed according to the purpose of each named fund:
- Ted Bradshaw Student Research Award Fund: Supports undergraduate and/or graduate students who wish to present research at the CDS annual conference or conduct community-based research projects.
- George Nickolaus CD Graduate Student Award Fund: Supports students enrolled in graduate programs emphasizing community development at accredited universities in the United States.
- Nette Nelson Travel Scholarship Fund: Supports CDS members who wish to present a paper or workshop or give a major address to a community development conference outside of the recipients’ home continent.
- CDS Conference Scholarship Fund: Supports scholarships for student and non-student CDS members to attend the CDS annual conference.
- Diversity Fund: Supports initiatives that increase awareness of social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion issues within the community development profession and that foster diverse cultural perspectives in CDS and the community development process.
- Annual International Conference Fund: Supports CDS annual conference activities (e.g., plenary speakers and defraying conference costs for local grassroots leaders and volunteers).
- Educational Materials Fund: Supports the production of educational materials to advance the mission of the CDS (e.g., electronic documents, monographs, books, videos).
- Unrestricted Fund: Supports other activities that advance the mission of the CDS.
The CDS Endowment provides a way for all CDS members and supporters to make a meaningful and lasting contribution to the future of the Society and the profession. No contribution is too small or too large.
GIFTS FOR TODAY:
- Cash* - You may make a one-time or periodic cash pledge.
- Memorials/Tributes* - You may wish to give a gift in honor of a special person in your life, either living or deceased.
- Appreciated Securities or Real Estate* - You may give a gift of stocks, bonds or real property and realize some tax advantages as well.
- Retirement Plan Assets - By naming the CDS Endowment as a beneficiary of a qualified retirement plan, donors retain control and lifelong income benefits.
GIFTS FOR THE FUTURE:
- Wills - Donors may identify a specific dollar amount or percent of assets to be received by the CDS Endowment upon the settlement of their estate.
- Life Insurance* - Donors may name the CDS Endowment as the owner of a policy or as a beneficiary.
Won't you join us in building for a stronger future for CDS?
Make YOUR contribution to the CDS Endowment today!
Contributions can be made through the Paypal button in the right sidebar
or via check mailed to the CDS Business Office:
Community Development Society
17 South High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
*Please include the following pledge sheet with your mailed contribution*
*You should always consult your attorney, accountant or tax professional about any tax benefits that you may realize in deciding the best way to contribute to the CDS Endowment.
The Community Development Society Endowment was established in 2002, in recognition of the need for the CDS to build a stronger financial base to carry out its mission in advancing the field of community development. Your donations to the CDS Endowment will enable CDS to allocate more financial resources in support of scholarships, plenary speakers at the Annual Conference, community development resource materials, and other mission-related initiatives.
Contributions may be made on-line here.
Contributions may be mailed to:
Community Development Society
17 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Please send your contribution to the above address with the following pledge sheet.
CDS ENDOWMENT “ROOTS & WINGS” CAMPAIGN
A Gift For Growth
The Society has a bold vision for reaching out to students and minorities. CDS leaders want to expand the journal and research base through electronic and other means. Our board wants to attract the “best and brightest” to our conferences and other gatherings. These are the kinds of activities the CDS Endowment was established to support.
In 2010 the Endowment reached $120,000, triggering the distribution of funds for scholarships to the CDS annual conference and for conference programs. Working together, we have begun to bring this vision to reality! We extend our heartfelt thanks to all those who have given.
Each one of us who has simply said, “Yes, I will do my little part to support this,” is now an integral piece of a new, lasting benefit for our members! This is how we co-create our future together as CDS members!
Won’t you join with us in this effort? Please consider donating at least $100 over the next year to the Community Development Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. It is an investment of less than nine dollars per month over a year (or 37 cents per day). If you live in the United States, your contribution is tax-deductible. If you belong to a CDS chapter, we ask that you help us reach out to them as well, by encouraging a chapter donation to the Endowment.
As community developers, we have benefited immensely from the initiatives of the Community Development Society; hear what Endowment Campaign Leaders are saying about it. Listed below are just three of the ways:
- For the past forty years, the Society has affirmed the principles of good practice: citizen involvement in decision-making, capacity building, and a belief that community is the basic building block of society. These principles have influenced the field profoundly and have made our difficult work easier;
- The Society creates venues for new knowledge about community development through its publications, webinars and conferences. This research and professional development base makes our field more vibrant and responsive to community. This influence reaches beyond our members to people who may know nothing about the Society;
- Networking is essential for any community development professional in economic development, health, adult education, and similar circles. The Society initiates communication links across multidisciplinary, national, and international lines for us to better support each other. In essence, our individual successes are rooted in the continuing groundwork laid by the Community Development Society. The Society is counting on your gift to expand its outreach and impact.
Our goal is to have 100 percent of our members give something. Please join your fellow CDS members in making a donation today. Click here for more information on how to donate.
Click here for a list of scholarship recipients who have been awarded by the CDS Endowment.