As a part of the CDS beliefs, the organization follows the core Principles of Good Practice:
- Promote active and representative participation toward enabling all community members
to meaningfully influence the decisions that affect their lives.
- Engage community members in learning about and understanding community issues,
and the economic, social, environmental, political, psychological, and other impacts
associated with alternative courses of action.
- Incorporate the diverse interests and cultures of the community in the community
development process; and disengage from support of any effort that is likely to
adversely affect the disadvantaged members of a community.
- Work actively to enhance the leadership capacity of community members, leaders,
and groups within the community.
- Be open to using the full range of action strategies to work toward the long-term
sustainability and well being of the community.