Mark your calendar!
CDS 2014 Conference
July 20-23, 2014
Grand River Center
featuring keynote speaker
Chad Pregracke, CNN’s Hero of the Year
Pregracke organizes community cleanups across the country through his nonprofit, Living Lands & Waters. About 70,000 volunteers have pitched in, helping Pregracke collect more than 7 million pounds of trash in the past 15 years. Read more about how Chad is making a difference here.
See you in Dubuque!
CDS Call for Awards Nominations
Each year the Society has the opportunity to recognize the accomplishments of its members and friends. We encourage you to recognize the work of your colleagues in the field by submitting a nomination on their behalf.
Awards presented by the Society include the:
- Duane L. Gibson Distinguished Service Award
- Ted K. Bradshaw Outstanding Research Award
- Community Development Achievement Award
- Outstanding Program Award
- Innovative Program Award
- Donald W. Littrell New Professional Award
- Current Research Award
- Student Recognition Award
- Friend of Community Development Award
The Nomination deadline has been extended to April 15, 2014. Awards will be presented at the 2014 Community Development Society (CDS) Conference in Dubuque, IA in July.
Poster Presentations Wanted!
CDS 2014 Conference
July 20-23, 2014
Grand River Center, Dubuque, Iowa
Conference Theme: Renaissance -- From Vision to Action
We want more posters! This will NOT be your typical poster session! We have a beautiful, large space for poster presentations at the 2014 CDS Conference in Dubuque and we want to make good use of it. If you have a project, an idea, an article summary, or topic to share, think about bringing a poster to CDS! Posters will be the sole focus of a plenary session, and will be judged by a panel. Judging criteria include content, presentation, and style. For more information, see the poster guidelines. Some poster applications have already been submitted, but we can accommodate a few more posters. So, we have extended the submission deadline to accommodate additional submissions. Poster proposals are now due Friday, March 21 and you will receive a response regarding acceptance/nonacceptance around April 1.
Join a national conversation between community development professionals and practitioners. Share your thoughts on Community Wealth.
CDS Journal Available to Members Online
Just a reminder -- the CDS Journal is available online to view to members of the Society, whether you chose the printed or electronic version with your membership.
In order to access the Journal, you must login using your CDS username and password. The link to the Journal is available on the CDS members' only homepage. Once you have logged in, go to the USER MENU on the left of your screen; click on Welcome! which will bring you back to the CDS members only homepage. From there, you will see an option on the page towards the bottom: Click here for members only access to the CDS Journal! If you are interested in viewing archived issues, click on the option: Click here to directly view archived Journals.
Principles of Good Practice
We believe that adherence to the Community Development Society\'s Principles of Good Practice are essential to sound community development.
- Promote active and representative participation toward enabling all community members to meaningfully influence the decisions that affect their lives.
- Engage community members in learning about and understanding community issues, and the economic, social, environmental, political, psychological, and other impacts associated with alternative courses of action.
- Incorporate the diverse interests and cultures of the community in the community development process; and disengage from support of any effort that is likely to adversely affect the disadvantaged members of a community.
- Work actively to enhance the leadership capacity of community members, leaders, and groups within the community.
- Be open to using the full range of action strategies to work toward the long-term sustainability and well being of the community.